Sunday 9 January 2011

Exfoliation for winter skin - Nubo Diamond Peel and Reveal



Its that time of the year when we have often switched to using a richer moisturiser, have been wearing more make-up than normal at the Christmas parties, possibly not removing said makeup before falling into bed after one or two cheeky vino's and wow does it show on our skin.

With this in mind I decided to try a product which has caught my attention over the last few months, NUBO Diamond Peel & Reveal.  It is certainly not at the cheap end of the market, with a price point of £65.00 it may seem a little steep.  However, I decided to give it a go and see how it helped my skin get back on track after the Christmas binge of unhealthy food, beverages and late nights.

The box arrived and I must say I was more than just a little excited as I was lucky enough to be given a 10ml Cellular Dynamic The Essence, which has had some amazing reviews by a variety of beauty editors and bloggers alike.

The Diamond Peel & Reveal box was okay, and the two tubes inside where in what I would call understated packaging for this price point, other than a few little glittery diamonds on the lid of one of the tubes.  This could be a good thing as all the money has hopefully been spent on the ingredients!

I was a little disappointed at the instructions that came along with the products.  As with all exfoliators you should use on freshly cleansed skin, this isn't in the instructions - neither is it mentioned whether product should be applied to wet or dry skin - however, this is how I have applied it. 

I cleansed my skin thoroughly with a gentle balm cleanser, patted skin to remove excess water and then applied some of the step 1 exfoliator (approx size of ten pence piece)into wet hands and in gentle circular motion across face and neck, concentrating on my problem areas, pigmentation on forehead, blocked pores on nose and chin.  The product has a slightly grainy texture to assist in the manual exfoliation but is delivered in a luxurious cream which smells divine. 

The active ingredients in this stage include an array of humectants (water attracting ingredients) which whilst
the product is exfoliating your skin these welcome additions ensure the skin doesn't dry out.  Papain - which is one of my favourite ingredients as a therapist.  This is a fruit enzyme from the Papaya fruit and it basically works like a pacman - munching up dead skin cells to reveal fresh hydrated skin cells underneath. Then the diamond dust (as i like to call it) is an entrapped diamond complex which is designed to correct skin discolouration, add luminosity to skin, reduce the appearance of wrinkles and pores and even out the skin tone.

Stage two of this treatment is applying a gel like activator lotion on top of the stage one you have already massaged into your skin for two minutes.  After a gentle massage of the two products, they turn into a slightly foamy white mousse on the skin.  I continued to massage for one minute as instructed and then rinsed very thoroughly with warm water. This does need a really good rinse to get rid of any bits of grittiness left behind.

The main active ingredient in the activating lotion is Lactic Acid.  Lactic Acid is an alpha hydroxy acid (AHA's) which has a natural affinity with the skin as it is in our bodies anyway, therefore less likely to cause any irritation.  It works to loosen the dead skin cells which sometimes feel like they hang on for ever making our skin look dull and a little flaky.  Lactic Acid hydrates along with exfoliating the skin unlike other AHA's.

After rinsing my skin it didn't feel dry or irritated in any way and looked fresher.  I applied my bonus Cellular Essence, added a little moisturiser and got on with my housework.  It wasn't until I looked in the mirror an hour or so later I was quite taken back, my skin looked fab, it had a lovely healthy glow, the lines on my forehead and around my eyes definitely looked better and the skin around my eyes felt so soft and hydrated.

I am looking forward to using this product again. As with retail exfoliators I am assuming it is okay to use this once or twice a week - but again instructions didn't indicate how often the product should be used.

Overall review:

Packaging - both parts come in tubes so great for keeping ingredients fresh and active, looks wise - they don't particularly strike me as looking like high end products.
Instructions and general information about the product definitely lacking - would like to see more information.  This is an expensive product and as a consumer you need to make sure you are using it correctly to get the best results.
Ingredients list very impressive, some fab ingredients which will do a great job of exfoliating. Plus all Nubo products are free of SLS, parabens, irritating peto-chemicals, synthetic colours and fragrances.
Price - at the pricey end. 
All in all I think I would after a first use would give this a 4 out of 5 rating.

I would love to hear from you if you have used this product, to see what you think of it and share your views.

Wendy x

2 comments:

  1. Hi Wendy, having become a fan of the Dermalogica products you've previously recommended and used in your facials, I would certainly be tempted to try the Nubo exfoliator. As you say it's a bit pricey, especially after Christmas, but I will definately start saving. How long do you think the tube would last?
    Thought you had a glow about you. judy x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have found I probably need a ten pence piece size from each tube and unlike some other brands, it is product not air that comes out when you first open it, so I think using it twice a week I would expect to get a good three months out of it. For the weeks you have a professional face treatment, you wouldn't need to exfoliate at home that week, so it will last even longer. Get saving xx

    ReplyDelete