Tuesday 18 January 2011

What makes a cult beauty product?




I asked myself this question, what makes a particular product a cult beauty product?  is it the gorgeous actor or actress that a magazine quotes as saying they 'couldn't live without it' or if a celebrity makeup artist quotes something as a favourite product - do we all rush out and buy it?

I have to admit, being such a product junkie, I don't need that much persuading and find that I talk myself into many a purchase all for the good of my clients and now so I can talk to you guys about it (another justification).

There is no better feeling for me, when I make a purchase and find that it really does work - it is as amazing as the hype.  But equally, there is nothing more disappointing than looking forward to a purchase and finding that for whatever reason it just doesn't do it for you.

I have to say Eve Lom Cleanser is one of these Cult beauty products that has been on my radar for quite some time and after seeing an Eve Lom Travel set for only £25.00 in the Space NK sale, how could I possibly deny myself any longer.

After using and loving my Lancome Balm to oil massage cleanser, Eve Lom did have a lot to live up to.  But in the line of duty I was prepared to give it a go.  The product comes in a pot, which I am not really keen on, for hygiene and for keeping the ingredients fresh.  I much prefer products in tubes or pump dispensers, but moving onto the product itself, I was quite taken back by the feel of the product.  I suppose I was expecting the balm to feel luxurious and silky smooth and to be honest, my first thoughts were that it felt as though I was spreading a slightly grainy vaseline all over - not really a sensation I enjoyed. I did love the smell however, natural, fresh and relaxing.   I persevered and applied and massaged into skin as instructed, you then use the muslin cloth which comes with the cleanser. After rinsing the cloth in hot water I gently placed on face and repeated three times, then using the cloth removed the product with circular movements.  I finished the cleanse by placing the cloth on my skin once again but this time after rinsing in cold water to close the pores and clarify the skin tone.  Now this part although it does sound a bit long winded, takes a couple of minutes and does make skin feel really nice.

I have used the product for almost two weeks now and I have noticed some underlying congestion developing underneath my skin particularly on my cheek area. 

The main ingredient in this product is liquid paraffin (mineral oil), whilst a natural product could potentially block pores in consumers, particularly if like me you can be prone to this anyway. The cleanser also has a lanolin derivative which again can block pores, the cocoa butter will assist in moisturising skin, with the anti bacterial addition of clove oil and the soothing and regenerative effects of chamomile oil this could potentially be a pleasing product for someone with a drier skin type.  I have a typical combination skin a little drier on the cheeks but an oily T zone  and found this product to heavy and oily for me.  The instructions advise you not to follow with a moisturiser if you have oily skin, however, I always like to apply a moisturiser to help with hydration and also the all important sun protection which should be applied hail, rain or shine. 

So all in all not a product suitable for me, so that is me back using my Lancome balm to oil massage cleanser and I must admit my skin looks and feels happier as a result.  This is one cult beauty product that I won't be purchasing again.

Love to hear your experience of this product

Wendy xx

No comments:

Post a Comment